Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Weekly Blog "The Familiars" for 12-8

12-8-14
The Familiars
Pages Read: 60-100

Prompt : List three new vocabulary words from your reading. What can you tell about
them from their structure? What can you tell about them from their context?
     
          A new vocabulary word that is new to me would be halberd. The author uses this word when he states "Kalstaff stopped in front of the ancient weapons secured to the wall and unfastened the bronze clamps holding the spiked club, trident, and halberd in place." I think this word is an object that was used mainly in the ancient times. I could tell because it talks about ancient weapons and it was listing objects that were in place. This is my educated guess, but the dictionary definition is "a combined spear and battle-ax." Therefore, I think I made a pretty accurate guess.

        Another new vocabulary word to me is eerie. The author uses this word when he states "A full moon was now hanging high in the sky, casting an eerie bluish light across the land." I think this word is describing the bluish light. I think it means bright, or shiny. I could tell because it is describing a light while the full moon is on which makes me think it is probably bright or shiny. This is my educated guess, but the dictionary definition is "strange and frightening". I guess I was a bit off, but I least I tried guessing with the context clues given.

         My last vocabulary word that I had a little bit of trouble on was hasty. The author uses this word while stating "In the living room, the wizards made some hasty emergency preparations." I think this word is describing how fast they made their emergency preparations. I could tell because when their is an emergency, people want to get things done fast. This is my educated guess, but the dictionary definition is "done or acting with excessive speed or urgency; hurried". I think I made  pretty good educated guess.

1 comment:

  1. This was an unique blog post. I like how you focused around the vocabulary terms and I was able to learn more about the book through your approach.

    ReplyDelete