Thursday, October 16, 2014

"The Fault In Our Stars" Blog Characterization


"The Fault In Our Stars"
10-16-14
Pages Read: 88- 174


        In The Fault In Our Stars we are introduced to Hazel, who is one of the main characters in the story. This is one of the quotes that describes a little about Hazel and when the author first introduces her.  "Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate frequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death." This quote tells me that Hazel is not really having a very excited or happy life. This quote is expressing that she is depressed and all she is thinking about her death and when she will die. It tells me her age that she is 17 years old. It shows me that she is not narcissistic at all and she has low self esteem.

        In The Fault In Our Stars we are also introduced to Augustus which is another main character that falls in love wit Hazel. Here is another direct characterization about Augustus when Hazel first saw him. This also when the book first introduces Augustus. "I was quite sure I'd never seen him before. Long and leanly muscular, he dwarfed the molded plastic elementary school chair he was sitting in. Mahogany hair, straight and short." When I first read this I thought that Hazel was a bit interested in Augustus by the way she described him. This quote describes that Augustus is strong, not that tall, and pretty hair.

        In The Fault In Our Stars the author wrote another quote about Augustus and his actions towards Hazel. This is one of the indirect characterization that describes a little about Augustus. "Gus and I glanced at each other, smiling. Once we'd crossed the street, he pulled out a seat for me and helped me scoot it back in." To me this quote is saying that Augustus is a gentlemen and is very courteous. I think that it means that he cares about Haze. Also to me it is kind of showing that he wants to show Hazel what a god kind of guy he could be around her. I feel like this quote also shows that Augustus likes Hazel because they are smiling at each other and I believe that Augustus wants to impress Hazel.

No comments:

Post a Comment